GDPR is a European data protection and privacy regulation that became law in May 2018. This law protects the privacy and personal data of individuals within the European Union, as well as addresses the export of data outside of EU borders.
GDPR puts privacy in the hands of European citizens and centralizes the rules and processes businesses must follow in order to guard and respect the interests of the European people.
This help post will give you some insight on how to abide GDPR regulations by telling you:
- • How to get customer consent and collect subscribers
- • How to setup checkout opt in
In order to send text marketing and automation messages you need to have legally gathered the client's phone numbers first. When talking about legally we refer to the customer giving you an explicit "Prior Written Consent". SMSBump offers 2 different ways for Store owners to legally gather the prior written consent.
- • Opting in through the checkout
- • Opting in through our subscription form
We will cover all these three a bit later on. Now back to the GDPR. The most important things we need to know here are:
- • Give customers the option to subscribe through a subscription form. Read more here.
- • All agreement forms must clearly be visible to customers prior to giving their consent.
Disclaimer: We have worked with an attorney to help us draft the presented information, however we are not a certified legal advisory team so we encourage you to consult with a lawyer who is familiar with GDPR before using our legal texts.
In this guide we will go through the steps for Shopify so if you are running any other platform you can just replicate the steps here.
1. Log in to the Shopify admin panel and then go to Settings -> Legal
3. Confirm the changes by clicking the Save button at the top or the bottom.
II Gathering Checkout opt ins
1. Go to Settings -> Checkout
2. In the Form options section under Shipping address phone number make sure to tick Optional.
3. Go to Manage checkout language section.
4. Using the CTRL+F shortcut find Checkout marketing on the page. Under Accept marketing checkbox label paste the following text in the fieldbox:
5. Next, find the Phone label setting on the page using CTRL+F.
Under Phone Label and Optional Phone Label add:
7. Confirm the changes by clicking the Save button at the top or bottom.
Great job, you have now updated your checkout opt in to comply with GDPR. Your store’s checkout page will look something like this:
III Unsubscribing clients
GDPR requires store owners to honor opt out requests.
SMSBump automatically unsubscribes all customers who reply to text messages with “STOP” or click on the unsubscribe link in their text message. You can also unsubscribe customers manually in Lists & Segments in the SMSBump app.
SMSBump adheres to the national DND (Do Not Disturb) register each time a message is sent.
Rest assured that no marketing campaigns will be sent unless they contain a clearly written text giving customers a way to opt out.
If a customer changes their mind and wishes to opt in to receive text marketing again, all they need to do is respond to a text message with “JOIN.”
IV Further reading
For more info on how SMSBump features convey the best SMS practices here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UheA7yRlJ7Q&list=PLNdynjm0-3YPptMaqL0mIUdUlCatoCBLi
If a customer requests to have their personal data deleted from our servers, please forward their number to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will act on it.
Last Modified: Mar 31, 2020