Setting Up SMSBump to Comply With GDPR
GDPR is a European data protection and privacy regulation that became law in May 2018. This law protects the privacy and personal data of individuals within the European Union, as well as addresses the export of data outside of EU borders.
GDPR puts privacy in the hands of European citizens and centralizes the rules and processes businesses must follow in order to guard and respect the interests of the European people.
This help post will give you some insight on how to abide GDPR regulations by telling you:
How to get customer consent and collect subscribers
How to setup checkout opt in
You Should Know That...
SMSBump marketing messages and automations will not be sent without legally obtaining a client’s phone number first. Each customer must give their explicit “prior written consent.” Customers can give their consent by:
Opting in through the checkout.
Opting in through a subscription form.
Here are the most important things to keep in mind:
Give customers the option to subscribe through a subscription form. Read more here.
All agreement forms must clearly be visible to customers prior to giving their consent
Disclaimer: We have worked with an attorney to help us draft the presented information, however we are not a certified legal advisory team so we encourage you to consult with a lawyer who is familiar with GDPR before using our legal texts.
From the Shopify main menu, click on Settings.
2. Click on Legal to get to your store’s legal pages settings.
4. Click on the Save button to save the changes made.
Set Up Checkout Opt In
1. From the Shopify Settings page click on Checkout where you will be able to edit your checkout process.
2. In the Form options section under Shipping address phone number make sure to tick Optional.
3. Using the CTRL+F shortcut find Checkout marketing on the page. Under Accept marketing checkbox label paste the following text in the fieldbox: “Sign up for exclusive offers and news via text messages and/or email.”
4. Next, find the Phone label setting on the page using CTRL+F. In its field box, paste the following text: “Phone number for updates and exclusive offers.”
6. Click on the Save button.
7. Great job, you have now updated your checkout opt in to comply with GDPR. Your store’s checkout page will look something like this:
SMSBump automatically unsubscribes all customers who reply to text messages with “STOP” or “STOP#####” including a shortcode. You can also unsubscribe customers manually in Lists & Segments in the SMSBump app, or by providing customers with an unsubscribe link.
SMSBump adheres to the national DND (Do Not Disturb) register each time a message is sent.
Rest assured that no marketing campaigns will be sent unless they contain a clearly written text giving customers a way to opt out.
If a customer changes their mind and wishes to opt in to receive text marketing again, all they need to do is respond to a text message with “JOIN.”
Feel free to reach out to us on chat, to discuss any of the points covered in the post.
If a customer requests to have their personal data deleted from our servers, please forward their number to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will act on it.